-
September 11th, 2000, 12:00 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Has anybody else been following the WFP forum with interest ?
Well judging by the latest postings it seems to have died a death.
It is a great example of life in the year 2000. An idea comes along and many people crawl out of the woodwork signing their life away but no sooner than a few months of passing and they start to fall by the wayside. Many excuses are given but most just conveniently disappear off the face of the earth. A few dedicated, committed,hard working people remain ( and they will probably do something that will really matter in life). In short they will go the extra mile that will take them to where they want to be in life.
Dont get me wrong, im not criticising the good intentions of all concerned but it seems that in all walks of life you have the choice to go the full hog or be a "nearly-was" type. Sometimes its not who is the best but who holds on the longest.
Im really dissapointed that the whole thing fell through but if anyone can learn a lesson from it then let it be the thought " I will be the last one standing and never give up "
Being one of the older members of this forum, i could rant on about some tales in my life where persistance has got me some achievements but i wont! Instead i would like to ask some of you to read the World Filmmakers Project forum and give me your ideas on where they went wrong.
thanks
marti
[This message has been edited by marti-c (edited September 10, 2000).]
-
September 11th, 2000, 08:52 AM
#2
-
September 11th, 2000, 11:31 AM
#3
eddie
Guest
Yeah Ive been following this vaguely.
Why did it fail? Because a project like this is too difficult! You dont know any of the people involved, you dont know anything about their experience. And I think it becomes that great turd in the filmmaker water purifier: Words, not actions.
It happens over and over again. Film making is nothing like you imagine it to be. Perhaps a lot of people drop out once they realise how hard it is making WORDS a reality.
Getting fired up on the internet with invisible people is a different kettle of fish than getting fired up with a mate (you know where they live) down the pub....and doing it again and again.
Talking on a forum isnt the same as popping in on the way home from work and going through storyboards.
I mean Ive found it hard enough just keeping local (ish) actors involved, let alone someone from the other side of the world!
Perhaps it also went on for too long. My experience tells me to:
spend as long as I want in pre-production
spend a week or two (not much longer) in shooting and production
spend as long as I want, need in post production.
That way you only need other people for a fortnight. Then its up to you.
It makes a difference when people arent being paid.
-
September 11th, 2000, 04:44 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Personally, I think the only reason it seems to be failing (have failed) is the fact that so many people are full of air. It's much easier to say you're in and come up with a vague story idea then it is to actually make a film. I'm shooting next weekend and am just very happy we decided to make the stories not-dependent on each other. Good luck to all of those that were involved. Sorry to see you couldn't meet the commitment.
ttfn.
tash.
------------------
"Grab a handful of St. John's Wort and a Giant Coke Slurpee and go make a movie."
-
September 12th, 2000, 12:26 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I am shooting in two weeks... (after tons of problems getting a 35mm cam to shoot some stills... only minor but I really love doing it!)
The biggest thing running against us (the WFP) was/ is the summer. Most should see why.
There are still a few of us who have shot, or are shooting. The film may not be as long as I had hoped... but... at least we attempted it and from the people left I expect a very good film. Hopefully within the next few months you will see our progress! But until then... we are all talk!
Mike Bembenek (hopefully Marti-C is right)
World Filmmakers Project Coordinator
http://www.worldfilmmakers.com
(The site is being revamped and updated as I type!)
-
September 14th, 2000, 05:35 AM
#6
Inactive Member
WFP did fail...initially.
I agree with Shirt, (hey guy!), that the summer had a big effect on the project. But my segment is totally wrapped, Mikes is in two weeks, tash is in a couple of weeks, and some others are still going to shoot so we'll have enough.
So I suppose it's not a failure but an extreme case of bad communication. Summer time is when us younguns go out and sew them wild oats and the WFP kind of got lost in the shuffle. but it's starting to pick up now. We simply moved the deadline up considerably and we're right back in buisness.
After this one is finished I would totally be willing to do it again. I've had a blast and met some awesome people who have restored my faith in the filmmaking community. It was a great experience, during the good and bad times, and we all learnt alot about coordinating a project which definitly makes us better directors. It was a great learning experience and that's what it was all about anyway. We never planned on this thing being huge. It's just like the old addage that you learn more from a bad movie than you do from a good one.
For all those involved, past or present, with the WFP I'd like to say Hi, thanks, and you're really great people who I'd work with anyday. See you around or in the forum.
Later,
Brandon
[This message has been edited by johnny16mm (edited September 14, 2000).]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks